NEW FIRST AID UNITS RELEASED
On occasions, changes to training package products will occur. When a training package is revised and is superseded by a replacement version, the new version is published, and all information can be located on the National Register (www.training.gov.au).
Recently, a review into the First Aid units occurred which has resulted in the following new units being published on the National Register:
- HLTSS00068 Occupational First Aid Skill Set (superseded HLTSS00027 – Occupational First Aid Skill Set)
Units of Competency:
- HLTAID009 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation (superseded HLTAID001 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation)
- HLTAID010 Provide basic emergency life support (superseded HLTAID002 Provide basic emergency life support)
- HLTAID011 Provide First Aid (superseded HLTAID003 Provide First Aid)
- HLTAID012 Provide First Aid in an education and care setting (superseded HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting)
- HLTAID013 Provide First Aid in a remote or isolated site (superseded HLTAID005 Provide first aid in remote situations)
- HLTAID014 Provide Advanced First Aid (superseded HLTAID006 Provide advanced first aid)
- HLTAID015 Provide advanced resuscitation and oxygen therapy (superseded HLTAID007 Provide advanced resuscitation)
- HLTAID016 Manage first aid services and resources (supersedes HLTAID008 – Manage first aid services and resources).
TalkSmart Training is now delivering these new units.
Who conducts the review and why?
The review is conducted by a team of industry professionals and stakeholders with the aim to drive improvements in First Aid Training and ensure quality education is being delivered to all Australians.
On 12 August 2020, the Australian Industry and Skills Committee (AISC) endorsed the release of new versions of eight first aid units of competency within the HLT Health Training Package (as listed above).
In October, the new units were published on the National Register.
What does this mean?
The content across the new courses remains largely unchanged, particularly for the standard First Aid and CPR units. However, Allens Training who TalkSmart Training is a partner, have taken the opportunity to review and improve all our resources including our online learning content, and resources used by trainers and students on the day of training.
If you require a first aid certificate for employment purposes it is likely you will need to complete HLTAID011 Provide First Aid, unless you work in the early childhood sector, and you would likely complete HLTAID012 Provide First Aid in an education and care setting.
If you need to complete your CPR refresher you will complete HLTAID009 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
When enrolling into a course you are encouraged to discuss with your employer their requirements to ensure you are meeting their requirements.
If you specifically need to complete one of the superseded units, please contact the staff at TalkSmart Training to discuss your options.
What happens if I have a certificate with the old code?
Students may complete study in a superseded product and be issued with a qualification or statement of attainment within the one-year transition period of a replacement training product from the date as stated on the National Register.
This means that RTOs are still able to deliver courses in a superseded qualification or units of competency within that 12-month period. In the case of the superseded First Aid units, these can continue to be delivered up until the end of September 2021.
Importantly, certificates issued to students for a superseded training product with an industry specified timeframe will remain valid until the expiry date of that certificate (for example, CPR and First Aid).
So, if you have only completed your First Aid recently and were issued a statement of attainment for HLTAID003 Provide First Aid, don’t worry, this is still valid for the next 3 years. However, the next First Aid course you complete will be HLTAID011 Provide First Aid.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss your needs please touch base with TalkSmart Training on 0417 854 274.