10685NAT – Course In Safe Handling Of Sharps And Infectious Waste
PROVIDER OF TRAINING AND ASSESSMENT
This course is delivered and assessed on behalf of Allens Training Pty Ltd RTO 90909 by TalkSmart Training.
This course is intended to provide participants with a range of knowledge, skills, generic and specific competencies to assist in performing their job role safely in areas in which sharps or infectious waste are present.
If you work or volunteer as a council ranger, public worker, in the parks and city service industry, as a domestic or commercial cleaner, medical staff, first aid officer, waste and recycling collection and processing staff, auto-repair and auto-towing service operator or in public transport then this course is a must for you.
When your job role requires you to regularly or occasionally handle sharps and infectious waste, or are responsible for managing public areas were at risk of injury from incidents involving needle-sticks and human waste, you should understand and be able to do so avoiding risk of injury or contamination.
This course teaches you the ability to implement controls for potential hazards related to sharps and infectious waste, safely dispose of sharps and infectious waste and complete relevant workplace documentation.
Units Being Delivered
The following units will be included in your certificate:
- 10685NAT – Course in Safe Handling of Sharps and Infectious Waste
- SAFSIW0001A – Remove sharps and infectious waste safely
- This course can be delivered/assessed in the workplace or at facility organised by the training provider.
Language, literacy and numeracy skills to read and interpret policy, procedural and legislative documents.
Oral and written communication skills to clarify/follow instructions and complete report documentation
Physically implement hazard control, use personal protective equipment and infection prevention, apply safe manual handling techniques, handle and dispose of sharps and infectious waste using available resources and equipment.
Pre-course study: Students may be required to undertake online pre-course work prior to attending the face to face session depending on the course delivery mode.
Online study: Students must have access to a computer, smartphone, tablet or other electronic device with access to the internet to complete the online/ pre-course studies.
|Refresher min. duration||180 minutes|
|Blended min. duration||180 minutes|
|Face-to-face min. duration||240 minutes|
|Online with face-to-face min. duration||N/A|
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
Certificate Renewal Requirements
This certificate does not require renewal
Learning Rights, Responsibilities and Support, including Complaints
Please note that enrolment to this course is made with Allens Training Pty Ltd RTO 90909. Please refer to the student handbook located on the RTO website allenstraining.com.au (https://allenstraining.com.au/students/student-handbook) for all details relating to rights and responsibilities including complaints and appeals.
Cost: $165 per person.
Prices are subject to change and additional costs may be charged for individual participant sessions.
Practical scenario demonstrations
- Scenario 1 – basic disposal of a single exposed sharp:
- Scenario 2 – complex disposal of multiple exposed and hidden sharps
- Scenario 3 – disposal of infectious waste
- Documentation – Completion of 2 risk assessment forms (1 each for scenario 2 & 3).
- Verbal questioning and explanations –These 5 oral questions must be answered by each student.
- Theory assessment – A written exam consisting of 15 multiple choice questions to be completed at the end of the training session. This can be conducted as an open book assessment and students are able to refer to their Learners resource material. The student must successfully answer all questions.
Ready To Learn First Aid?
Contact us on 0417 854 274 or fill out the form below